Thursday, July 4, 2013

ARC Review: Night School by C.J. Daugherty

Night School
by: C.J. Daugherty
Now Available!!!
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: e-ARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss
Night School on Goodreads here.
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
Allie's world is falling apart...

She hates her school. Her brother has run away. And she's just been arrested.

Again.

Now her parents are sending her away to a boarding school where she doesn't know a soul.

But instead of hating her new school, Allie finds she's happy there. She's making friends. And then there's Sylvain, a suave French student who openly flirts with her. And Carter, the brooding loner who seems to have her back.

Soon, though, Allie discovers Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. Nothing there is as it seems. And her new friends are hiding dangerous secrets.

My Thoughts:
Solid start to a new YA series, however, this book completely messed with my mind.

I'm not sure if it was intentional on Daughtery's part or if she just kept changing her mind while writing, but I felt like this book continuously went back and forth. Characters would go from good to bad and back again. I would write down a note such as "great friend to heroine" and than in the next chapter that character would do complete 180 and his/her true colours were shown. 

This definitely helped to add a certain element of mystery to Night School, and there are definitely some mysterious happenings to be had in this read; what's with the night classes at Cimmeria Academy, why did Allie's brother disappear and what are Carter and Sylvain's true intentions towards Allie? You'll have to read to find these answers, but be warned this is the first instalment in a series, so many mysteries have yet to be resolved by the end.

I did enjoy the romance and love triangle between Allie, Carter and Sylvain but once again I felt just as conflicted as Allie with my choice between these two boys, because they seem to be continuously swapping personalities with each other. To be honest, this aggravated me a bit towards the end of Night School.

While it seems like I've complained through most of this review, I did overall, enjoy Night School and appreciated the great pacing and how the reader is introduced to characters and plot in a gradual manner. Also, I think the love triangle has great potential for further instalments and I will be continuing this series (I actually already have a copy of book 2 which I ordered from Book Depository :))

If you enjoy mystery and romance in your YA, than Night School may be a great pick for you!

Happy Reading!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I like the sound of the characters constantly changing personalities. I mean, a character or two like that could be cool and twisty, but everyone? And doing that more than once. Blergh. I don't think this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it definitely adds a bit of mystery to the plot, but some could definitely find it frustrating haha.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Sounds like this one definitely has potential, but I don't know if I like a bunch of characters changing who they are so often. Sounds like something that could get frustrating, especially if it happens with the mc's best friends. I definitely don't like flakey (or worse!) best friends! Good to know, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think it has potential I will continue to book 2 and go from there. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a chance :)

      Delete