Tuesday, February 19, 2013

ARC Review: Sever by Lauren DeStefano

Sever (The Chemical Garden #3)
By: Lauren DeStefano
NOW AVAILABLE!!!
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: ARC received from blogger event
Sever on Goodreads here
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:

Time is running out for Rhine in this conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Chemical Garden Trilogy.

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.

My Thoughts:
This series left me feeling a bit cheated.

Where Fever lacked much of Linden, Sever lacks A LOT of Gabriel (seriously, I felt like he just had a cameo in this conclusion). 

I felt just as conflicted as Rhine with regards to my feelings towards Linden- she spends much of the book reining in her jealousy of his and Cecily's relationship. Before this last instalment, I used to consider Linden a weak, Daddy's boy, but we get to see a whole new side to him- one that is brave and defiant- I much preferred this Linden!

We also find out in this instalment just how powerful Vaughn is, and the extent of influence. He's a bit of an enigma and one I never was truly able to figure out.

There wasn't much action or progress within the first-two thirds of Sever. I was starting to get a little agitated because it just seemed that every chapter seemed to go like this: 

Rhine saying "Ok, I'm leaving now"
and then Cecily saying, "No you can't! Make her stay, Linden." 
Linden "Stay Rhine" 
*Sigh* "Ok, but tomorrow I'm leaving for sure."

Don't get me wrong, we do get some closure between Linden and Rhine (although I'm irritated beyond belief by Linden and Cecily's relationship), but I wanted to pull my hair out a bit and just shove Rhine out the door to go find her brother and Gabriel! 

And then when she FINALLY makes a clear decision to set out and find Gabriel, tragedy strikes, and I cried my eyes out and nearly threw my ARC at the wall, while screaming NOOOOO!!!!! That's how strongly invested I got into this.

There were a few shining moments in this last book though, the introduction of Uncle Reed- loved this man, he's everything that his insane brother, Vaughn, isn't, unconventional and completely loveable! And he provided some much needed comic relief in Sever. I also LOVED Rhine's brother, Rowan, and the sibling bond these two continue to share even after being separated for so long. 

But we don't get to know Rowan to well, because once he's introduced, the action and plot seem to go from 0-60 in 3.5, and suddenly everything goes from hopeful and rainbows to complete melancholy. And then we're given a quick ending wrapped up in a nice bow and I'm left thinking, is that it?

I know that there are many who were thrilled with the way this trilogy has concluded, but I can't help feeling a little cheated with the rushed events. I wish more time (or pages) could have been given to the unraveling of everything Vaughn had been working for, and less to reluctant Rhine at the beginning.

If you've already read the first two books in this trilogy, than you know you have to finish it, because the first two were amazing! Unfortunately I feel as though this instalment ran out of steam...

Happy Reading!!!

4 comments:

  1. I had very similar thoughts to you with this. I got so tired of everyone being so...tired, that by the time the real plot and action kicked in, I just didn't care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was hoping the tone of the book would change a bit. Sighs

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Wither yet but Sever sounds disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same, I´m not very convinced about the way this book ends. I really thing nothing really happens, and I hate the part were they arrived to Madam´s circus. I mean there are many routes to get to new york but they choose the one that will lead them to her. How convinient, and how convinient aldo that madam´s daughter is rose.Well, i just don´t like it.

    ReplyDelete