Tuesday, February 26, 2013

ARC Review: The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

The Nightmare Affair
by: Mindee Arnett
Release Date: March 5th/13.
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pre-order here.
The Nightmare Affair on Goodreads here.
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.

My Thoughts:
Great, clean YA fun!

Dusty, the main character of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR was such an entertaining narrator! She has a lot of character and I had no problem relating to her. She's hilarious and quirky- I was smiling through most of this book.

There were so many unique aspects of Arnett's debut that I just loved, one of my favourites being the unique, animated personalities of the computers at Arkwell Academy. They kind of reminded me of the mirror on the wall from Snow White- but the sarcastic Shrek version!

I also loved the fact that one of Dusty's love interests (cause there can never be JUST one haha) is a library aide- so unique!

The only thing that irked/confused me a bit was WHY Eli needed to attend Arkwell Academy, as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he does, gives room for much more Dusty/Eli moments, I just wasn't completely convinced he needed to attend Arkwell (but I could definitely be over-thinking this, haha.

Speaking of Eli, LOVE him! His reaction towards Dusty, in the beginning, was pretty realistic and understandable to me and just made Eli seem all the more sincere. But I loved the moments we got between these two *cough* *cough* dream invasions- definitely nothing explicit (very clean YA read) but the chemistry and tension made for a VERY interesting read!

Arnett has penned an interesting mystery for her hilarious band of characters to unfold. As Dusty and her gang strive to figure out the true identity behind the elusive "F", the dialogue/interplay between these characters will have you smiling and laughing. 

I was so sad to come the end of book #1, it came to quick! Please let #2 be longer!

I really loved this debut and I would definitely recommend it to fans of Kim Harrington's Clarity series. Bring on book #2, right now. No seriously can I have book #2?

Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, and I know the second one's out and I'm dying to read it. I had a similar experience to you, reading this book :-)

    ReplyDelete