Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Now Available!!!
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Purchased physical copy
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

My Thoughts:
I really got sucked into this one. It's the perfect fix for the romance lover, looking for a contemporary break from the paranormal plots dominating the blogsphere.

I really like the trends that have been emerging in the Publishing Industry as of late. So many indie authors' works are being given the chance they deserve, and I truly appreciate this. Beautiful Disaster is the perfect example of the NEW ADULT genre that's been taking over as of late. It will appeal to Teens just finishing up high school/starting college or university, and it even has the reach to the adult market. The content is definitely more mature, but no less satisfying!

While I really enjoyed this book, I did get annoyed with Abby several times. I felt that she lead, the men pursuing her, on a lot. Although, I don't think this was McGuire's intention, that's the way the protagonist came off. With that said, I was very jealous of her throughout this book because she had the undivided attention of the amazingly sexy Travis. McGuire does a great job of penning sizzingly chemistry between these two. I was rooting for them the entire way. Even when Abby was annoying the heck out of me.

Travis, sexy, sexy Travis, sigh. This man is intense with a capital I, almost to the point where it was a little scary. I'm not to sure he's stable enough to be in a relationship, but O did I enjoy watching him chase after Abby. The boy is relentless!

Another thing that irked me about this book was the ending. It was a little to hokey for my liking (without getting to spoilery). Plus I don't really see where else she can take these two, so I'm not really gonna hold my breath for a sequel. But I will continue to read her other series as she writes amazing chemistry. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance, while the scenes weren't graphic, they were sexy non-the-less.

Happy Reading!!!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too! I love New Adult and getting characters in college. Abby did annoy me at times too and all the fighting and back and forth with Travis. But it was addicting! The ending wraps everything up happily which I love. There won't be a sequel but this same book again from Travis' POV. It will be called Walking Disaster and out next year. I am curious to get into his mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I heard about that one, I might check it out. I love Travis but I'm not sure I can take a full length novel of his P.O.V. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had issues with Abby too! She would lead Travis on and then get mad at him for no reason. Ugh, but I really loved this book. If you haven't read it et, the "sequel" Walking Disaster is out! It is the same story from Travis's point of view. ITS SOOO GOOD! You don't have to deal as much with Abby's annoying-ness. I usually dont like books from a guys P.O.V. but I LOVED this one. I would def recommend it if you get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard lots of great things about this one too. Absolutely love the cover...so many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete