Monday, July 30, 2012

ARC Review: Skylark by Meagan Spooner

Skylark by Meagan Spooner
Release Date: August 1st/12
Publisher: Carolrhoda Lab
Source: ARC won from author
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
Sixteen year-old Lark Ainsley has never seen the sky.

Her world ends at the edge of the vast domed barrier of energy enclosing all that’s left of humanity. For two hundred years the city has sustained this barrier by harvesting its children's innate magical energy when they reach adolescence. When it’s Lark’s turn to be harvested, she finds herself trapped in a nightmarish web of experiments and learns she is something out of legend itself: a Renewable, able to regenerate her own power after it’s been stripped.

Forced to flee the only home she knows to avoid life as a human battery, Lark must fight her way through the terrible wilderness beyond the edge of the world. With the city’s clockwork creations close on her heels and a strange wild boy stalking her in the countryside, she must move quickly if she is to have any hope of survival. She’s heard the stories that somewhere to the west are others like her, hidden in secret – but can she stay alive long enough to find them?


My Thoughts:
This book was a complete mystery to me. Upon winning an ARC I wasn't aware of much of the plot and the cover threw me a little- seemed a bit SciFi. But once I started reading, I was sucked in, I honestly just couldn't stop.


There were so many things I loved about Skylark: the mystery, the adventure, THE ROMANCE (always a favourite :)).  Skylark starts off as a "Dud" or an unharvested freak, struggling to find herself in a society that clearly has no place for her. But then her day comes when her "Resource" is ready to be harvested, this is what she's been waiting for her whole life, it's everything she wanted- or is it? Suddenly Lark is being locked away and fed on strict schedules behind the Wall, while the "Machine" continues to suck her Resource dry. Her only companion behind the Wall is Kris, but can she truly trust him?


All this comes together within the beginning of the book! The adventure and intrigue lasts throughout. As Lark runs for her life, literally she becomes acquainted with Oren, a mysterious young man surviving out in the wild. Romance blossoms as these two travel through the wild together. I really liked Oren and was rooting for him (but this could very well have to do with the fact that his name is close to Oreo haha). But don't rule out Kris just yet! I think Spooner has much more in store for him, I hope.


Skylark is an action-packed YA read, that will have you questioning everyone's motives and leave in awe of the atmosphere/world that Spooner has penned. The romance was sweet and the ending left an opening for further development and much more adventure in book 2. I'm very eagerly awaiting the next installment.


I'm recommending Skylark to all those who enjoy YA because it has a perfect mixture of all the typical elements- Adventure, Love triangle, Mystery, Dystopian society,  I really  could go on, but I think you get the point. I'm so glad I won this book- Thank you Meagan!!!


Go out and it grab a copy- it releases TOMORROW!!! :


Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment