Monday, April 16, 2012

ARC Review: GILT by Katherine Longshore

GILT by Katherine Longshore
Release Date: May 15/12
Publisher: Viking


Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:


In the court of King Henry VIII, nothing is free--
and love comes at the highest price of all.


When Kitty Tylney's best friend, Catherine Howard, worms her way into King Henry VIII's heart and brings Kitty to court, she's thrust into a world filled with fabulous gowns, sparkling jewels, and elegant parties. No longer stuck in Cat's shadow, Kitty's now caught between two men--the object of her affection and the object of her desire. But court is also full of secrets, lies, and sordid affairs, and as Kitty witnesses Cat's meteoric rise and fall as queen, she must figure out how to keep being a good friend when the price of telling the truth could literally be her head.


My Thoughts:
Henry VIII meets Pretty Little Liars!


I loved this book, and I really didn't expect to. I'm not one for Court intrigue, but I couldn't stop reading GILT. 


This book will definitely appeal to fans of Gossip Girl and Gobersen's Luxe series. Longshire deals well with creating an environment in which the reader truly feels like they're part of Henry VIII's court, while using modern-day-dialogue- I really appreciated this.


Kitty is an underdog you'll be rooting for through the entire book. She's loyal and selfless to the end- literally. She also witnesses many horrific things in and out of court and as such must make some hard choices, some I didn't agree with but I can understand the merit and motivation behind them.
I wouldn't classify this book as having a love triangle, because I only felt that one man truly cared for Kitty- the real Kitty- TEAM WILLIAM!!! haha I have to pick a team every time :).


One thing I find troubling about this book, the ending- it didn't give me closure, especially with Kitty's romantic prospects. It's my understanding that this is the first book in a trilogy, but the troubling part is that each book will feature a different female protagonist, I really don't think that Kitty's story is complete and would love to see another story told from her perspective. If I'm wrong please let me know in the comments- I'd love to hear your thoughts!


I would recommend this read to those who enjoy stories from Diana Gabaldon but are in the mood for a good YA read!


Happy Reading!!!



1 comment:

  1. I would have liked more closure as well. I have my idea of what I HOPE happened but I wish it had been more certain.

    ReplyDelete