Sunday, November 27, 2011

ARC Review: Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Fever by Lauren DeStefano
Release date: February 21/12.
ARC Received from Publisher
Simon and Schuster

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind. 

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness. 

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary. 


WARNING: THIS IS A SEQUEL, THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT YET READ WITHER! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED :)


My Thoughts:
I'm nervous to write a review of this book for the simple fact, that I feel my words cannot do justice to Destefano's latest installment.


Fever has blown Wither way out of the park! I could happily get lost in DeStefano's writing everyday, she has an incredible imagination that resembles that of Diana Gabaldon- I never know where she'll be taking Rhine next.


This isn't a read for the faint of heart. Even though Rhine and Gabriel have escaped Vaughn's clutches, they still have many battles ahead. When I first saw the cover for this book I said to myself "Junkie much?" but after reading the book, this cover is PERFECT in absolutely every way possible!


I love the tenuous romance between Rhine and Gabriel, it's a gentle romance that both characters need to cope through the hard times that they face. I also like the way DeStefano writes the complex feelings Rhine has for Linden and vice versa, this isn't your typical love triangle, and I care for each love interest just as Rhine does.


There are so many complexities to DeStefano's writing. After watching Rhine and Gabriel suffer one after the other of trials and tribulations, the reader is left to question: is it better to be caged and protected, or free and at risk of the world's devices?


The ending was perfect. I don't feel cheated, but I am excited to see how things will conclude for Rhine, Gabriel, Linden, Cecily, Rowan and Vaughn.


If you liked Wither, or like me, were on the fence about Wither I BEG YOU PLEASE READ FEVER! You will not be disappointed. This is definitely in my top 5 reads of 2011! Thank you Lauren, I can't wait to read your next masterpiece!


Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. You read it already? I envy you. I love Wither and I just can't wait to read this.

    Anyway, I would like to say that I love your blog. I'm a new follower. :)

    Sarah,
    Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you Sarah- Your comment put a smile on my face :)

    Thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete